In this week’s episode, we take a look at another useful Google Chrome trick. I discuss ways to lay solid foundations for building positive relationships with students at the beginning of the year. We also look at some feedback and this week’s Question of the Week.
News & updates
- Google Keyword blog: whats.new (pdf.new, create.new (Adobe Spark), podcast.new (Anchor), WordPress blogs (blog.new), Google Meet (meet.new)
Treasure Chest: Incognito Window (Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+N, or Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+click)
- Doesn’t go into your browser history
- Super useful for checking links without being signed in, especially when sending links to students, parents, or colleagues
Boss Battle: Building relationships with students at the beginning of the year
- Learn their names
- Talk to them and get to know them
- find activities, etc. they can do on their own that will free you up to wander about the class
- Find activities that allow them to tell you about them
- Be quirky
- Quirkiness humanizes you
- Greet them at the door
- Let them know they are a priority to you
- Shake their hand on the way in (or some other creative method this year): fist bump, elbow bump, foot tap, the college football leap, a “sani-shake”
- Find something unique that makes them look forward to interacting with you
- Ask them about their day
- Side note: compliment first, dress code second
- Throw out some goofy conversation starters, and let them talk
- Let students have some input
What about online classes?
Here are some ideas for digital ways of building those relationships
- Set up individual Google Meet/Zoom calls with students or small groups
- Flipgrid video intros
- Padlet for a picture and bio
- Google Slides virtual locker (My wife’s example)
- Google Forms surveys
Crew Members’ Board (#8BitCrew)
Feedback Shout Outs
Katie Powell – @Beyond_the_Desk
QOTW: What is one thing you do to establish good relationships with your students right away?
Use the #8BitCrew on Twitter or post longer stories on the episode page at 8bitinstructor.com/002.
- Twitter: @comicsock & #8BitCrew
- Web site
- Email: email@example.com
- Support the show on Patreon.
Check out my Google Classroom Udemy course. Try the following codes out:
- JULYPREP (first 10 get free registration)
- AUGUST65 (get 35% off registration until Sept 5)
Music by David Fesliyan (https://www.fesliyanstudios.com/)
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products or services. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.