EP029 Learning with Google (Updates on Google for Education) – The 8-Bit Instructor
This week, Jared Cooney Horvath joins me to discuss the science of learning. Some news from Quizlet, Wakelet, and Google. There’s a different kind of treasure in the treasure chest today. Plus, this week’s question of the week, and some bonus video game talk.
News & updates
- Quizlet now allows you to create folders within classes
- Wakelet now integrates Adobe Spark
- Google is rebranding G Suite into Google Workspace. Read about it here
Treasure Chest: Stop Talking, Start Influencing
- Today’s guest Jared Cooney Horvath has an awesome book about the way we learn information
- Check it out here
Boss Battle: The Science of Learning with Jared Cooney Horvath
- Text, Speech, & Images
- Speech & text don’t go well together
- Speech & images do go well together
- More predictable layouts help aid memory
- TL:DR – It doesn’t work
- Importance of Error
- Error is how we learn best
- Using Stories
- Find the story behind the facts
- Build your own or find the story
- From Theory to Practice
- Jared’s Youtube channel that takes research and breaking it down in an easy to understand way
- Follow Jared on Twitter @JCHorvath
Crew Members’ Board (#8BitCrew)
QOTW: How could you implement some of the ideas from today’s conversation?
Use the #8BitCrew on Twitter or post longer stories in the comments section here.
- Twitter: @comicsocks & #8BitCrew
- Web site
- Email: email@example.com
- Support the show on Patreon.
Check out my Google Classroom Udemy course.
Music by David Fesliyan (https://www.fesliyanstudios.com/)
- Intro/Outro: “Retro Platforming”
- Boss Battle: “Boss Battle Rock”
- Crew Member’s Board: “Pirate Dance”
- Wrap up: “Game Over” by Patrick de Arteaga
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products or services. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.