EP040 Summer PL – The 8-Bit Instructor
This week, I’m on Fall Break, so it’s a quick episode. We look at how giving students choice in class can allow us to challenge them more and help them learn better. Plus, a cool website is sitting in the treasure chest. And as always, your 8-Bit Crew question of the week.
Treasure Chest: iorad
- Create interactive tutorials with Iorad
Boss Battle: Challenging Students with Choice
- Give students options of content, even if it’s a choice between 2 or 3 (i.e. choose from 3 different poems to read, choose from 5 different math problems to solve)
- Give students options of topics to get them engaged with something interesting to them
- Teach leadership and collaboration while letting them work with their choice of partners
- Let students use trial and error to develop their own process for solving a problem
- Determine the skill you want students to show you, then allow them freedom of how they want to show you in their end product
Crew Members’ Board (#8BitCrew)
QOTW: How do you implement student choice in your class?
Use the #8BitCrew on Twitter or post longer stories in the comments section here.
- Twitter: @comicsocks & #8BitCrew
- Web site
- Email: email@example.com
- Support the show on Patreon.
Check out my Google Classroom Udemy course.
Music by David Fesliyan (https://www.fesliyanstudios.com/)
- Intro/Outro: “Retro Platforming”
- Boss Battle: “Boss Battle Rock”
- Crew Member’s Board: “Pirate Dance”
- Wrap up: “Game Over” by Patrick de Arteaga
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products or services. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.