In this week’s episode, Katie Powell joins me and discusses her book Boredom Busters and the idea behind Teach Beyond the Desk. Plus, news and updates from Parlay and Google; this week’s treasure chest; and, of course, your question of the week.
News & Updates
- Parlay Updates
- Autofit text to placeholders in Slides
- Admins can block mobile apps from accessing their organizations Google Workspace data
- Google Doodle is back for year 13!
Treasure Chest: The Paint Format Button (Google apps)
- Use the Paint Format button to copy formatting from one shape/textbox to another
- Check out this Iorad tutorial on how to do it
Boss Battle: Teaching Beyond the Desk with Katie Powell
- The story behind Teach Beyond the Desk
- a lot of students didn’t feel like school was for them
- hide learning behind something that didn’t look or feel like school
- learning for kids that weren’t finding success in “traditional school”
- Key Question: What are things teachers lean on that are low engagement for students? (worksheets, lectures, homework)
- Filling the tool box
- teachers are diverse, so there is no prescriptive way of doing it
- Boredom Busters – activities that can be immediately deployed in a classroom that can be adapted and tweaked to fit any class setting
- Easy to use and require little to no prep
- Connect with Katie online
Crew Members’ Board (#8BitCrew)
QOTW: What is one low-engagement activity in your class that you’d like to ramp up?
Use #8BitCrew on Twitter, tag me @comicsocks, or post longer stories in the comments section here.
- Twitter: @comicsocks & #8BitCrew
- Web site
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the show on Patreon.
Check out my Google Classroom Udemy course.
Music by David Fesliyan (https://www.fesliyanstudios.com/)
- Intro/Outro: “Retro Platforming”
- Boss Battle: “Boss Battle Rock”
- Crew Member’s Board: “Pirate Dance”
- Wrap up: “Game Over” by Patrick de Arteaga
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products or services. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.