This week, John Meehan’s here, and he’s got some BIG NEWS! Listen in for some excellent stuff, and a little bit of wrestling talk. Plus, news from Microsoft and Google.
News & Updates
- Power Automate takes everyday tasks and automates them through “flows”
- Think a flow chart
- Some examples of automation
- Create tasks in Microsoft Planner for onboarding new teachers
- Registration for courses or events
- Collecting instructional feedback
- Track approvals or requests for maintenance
- Google Assistant will connect to Workspace services if “Search and Assistant” service enabled
- Calendar and Gmail functions
- Check Calendar
- Create, cancel, reschedule Calendar events
- Email a contact
- Rollout starting March 1
- Adding Google Chat, Google Calendar, and Jamboard to Google Workspace Essentials
- Available now
- Improvements for locating new comments and important conversations in Google Docs
- Blue dot (says “New” when you hover) on new comments since you last viewed the document
- Filter comments in the Comments history dialog: “For you”, “All comments”, or “Resolved”
- More options for sharing your availability in Google Calendar
- 2 new options:
- Repeating out of office entries
- Split working hours into multiple segments each day
- 2 new options:
- End a Google Meet video call for everyone at once
- You can just leave the call or end it for everyone
- Already rolling out
- Easily locate the source file for embedded Drive video and audio files in Google Slides
- Go directly to embedded videos and audio that are in your Drive
- Click on the video or audio icon and click the square with and arrow button
- Reminder: Ending support for IE11 for all Google Workspace apps on March 15
- Rest in peace IE11
Treasure Chest: Slides Timer Extension
- Slides Timer Google Chrome extension
- Create timers in Google Slides with text placeholders
- Use <<5:00->> to count down from the time in the brackets
- Use <<0:00+>> to count up from the time in the brackets
- Use <<time>> to add a clock
- Keep your design aesthetic without having to import Youtube video timers
Boss Battle: The BIG NEWS from John Meehan
John and I spend some time discussing professional wrestling (although that’s not the BIG news)
John and Michael Matera tag-teamed to create a teacher resource site, EMC2 Learning
The site offers a wealth of resources for teachers that are plug and play adaptable to any classroom.
Premium members get access to all of the resources, and trust me, it’s worth it.
Check out the site here.
Crew Members’ Board (#8BitCrew)
QOTW: Not so much a question this week: Go check out John and Michael’s site
Okay, if you want to answer a question of the week, tell me who your favorite professional wrestler is.
Use #8BitCrew on Twitter, tag me @comicsocks, or post longer stories in the comments section here.
- Twitter: @comicsocks & #8BitCrew
- Web site
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the show on Patreon.
Check out my Google Classroom Udemy course.
Music by David Fesliyan (https://www.fesliyanstudios.com/)
- Intro/Outro: “Retro Platforming”
- Boss Battle: “Boss Battle Rock”
- Crew Member’s Board: “Pirate Dance”
- Wrap up: “Game Over” by Patrick de Arteaga
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products or services. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.